- 11+ Mock Exams
- 11+ Courses
- 11+ Term Time Courses
- 11+ Intensive Holiday Courses
- 11+ Information
- Contact Us
Sir Thomas Rich’s School
We’re dedicated to your child’s success
With a proven track record in preparing pupils for the 11 Plus, Marie Redmond MEd and her team of exceptional, fully qualified and experienced primary teachers provide specialist tuition focused on your child’s individual learning needs.
Our unique Gloucestershire 11 Plus courses in Charlton Kings, Cheltenham are structured to give children the confidence they need to sit and pass exams in a friendly, stress-free environment.
Introduction to the Gloucestershire Grammar 11+ Entrance Test
To be eligible to apply for a place at a Gloucestershire grammar school, your child will need to pass the 11 Plus Entrance Test for Gloucestershire.
Gloucestershire grammar schools operate a shared 11 Plus testing process with the seven schools using the same test papers. Children born between 1st September 2009 and 31st August 2010 will take the 11 Plus exam in September 2020 to be eligible to apply for a Gloucestershire grammar place for September 2021.
The Gloucestershire test is provided by Durham University’s Centre for Evaluation & Monitoring (CEM).
FAQs About the Gloucestershire 11 Plus
- The Gloucestershire 11 Plus exam consists of two papers, taken on the same day, each 50 to 60 minutes in duration and testing three areas – verbal, numerical and non-verbal reasoning.
- All questions on both papers are multiple choice and pupils indicate their answers on a separate answer sheet.
A Familiarisation booklet, produced by the CEM, contains information about the content of the tests, some advice about taking the tests and a few sample questions. You can see the most recent booklet here >
- You need to register your child to take the Gloucestershire 11 Plus test. Registration for the September 2020 exam will be open in June 2020 on the websites of the seven grammar schools.
- You can choose which school you’d like your child to sit the exam at, however as spaces are limited, your child may be allocated an alternative venue. The choice of test centre will have no bearing on your child’s chances of getting a place at the school(s) they apply for.
- When completing the online Grammar Registration Form, you must register which schools can share your child’s results. Only the schools you select will be able to consider your child for a place.
- Once you have registered for the Entrance Test, you will be sent information nearer the testing
day regarding the arrangements at your allocated Test Centre.
The 11 Plus for Gloucestershire has no set pass mark and achieving the ‘qualifying standard’ does not guarantee entry into your child’s preferred grammar school. Each school takes the top pupils who apply and their admissions policy will describe how places are allocated in the event of over-subscription.
The results for the 2019 Gloucestershire 11 Plus Grammar Test were sent to parents on Monday 14th October 2019. The dates for the 2020 exam have not yet been confirmed. If you register online you will be given the choice to receive your child’s results by e-mail or post. You will receive a letter or e-mail from each grammar school/academy you request to share results with.
- When you receive your child’s 11 Plus results in October 2019, you will have until Thursday 31st October 2019 to submit your Common Application Form to your Local Authority.
- You can name up to 6 schools when you apply.
- School places for September 2020 will be confirmed at the beginning of March 2020.
- If you live outside Gloucestershire, you must apply through your own Local Authority – even if your child currently attends a Gloucestershire primary school.
What is required to pass the Gloucestershire Grammar 11+ Entrance Test?
Verbal Reasoning (approx. 50% of the mark)
Numerical Reasoning (approx. 30% of the mark)
- Basic skills (addition, multiplication, division and subtraction)
- Mental maths development
- Problem solving techniques
- Extracting information from graphs and tables
- Fractions and ratios
- Foundation algebra concepts
Non-verbal Reasoning (approx. 20% of the mark)
- Spatial awareness
- Logical deduction skills
- Mathematical concepts such as symmetry, rotation and reflection
Get exam ready with Marie Redmond Tuition® CEM-style 11 Plus Mock Exams for the Gloucestershire 11 Plus.
Students who sat our mock exams in 2019 said they were very similar to the actual CEM test, which made them feel prepared and confident when sitting the exam.
Our courses are led by qualified primary teachers and prepare pupils for all aspects of the Gloucestershire 11 PlusDiscover our 11 Plus courses
Feedback from parents
We are very pleased to let you know that Katie passed the 11+ and now wants to go to Wycombe High School with Alice. Thanks very much to you and all the teachers that taught Katie, and Alice four years ago. We are really happy that they have both done so well.
Year 6 parent, Wooburn Green (2019)
Katie passed the 11+ (143) and is very happy to be going to Wycombe High School with her best friend (only 3/30 from her class passed so I think the extra work on Maths during the summer and the revision courses were worth the effort!). Hoping her fellow students did well too.
Year 5 parent, Hazlemere (2016)