- 11+ Mock Exams
- 11+ Courses
- 11+ Term Time Courses
- 11+ Intensive Holiday Courses
- 11+ Information
John Hampden Grammar School
We’re dedicated to your child’s success
With a proven track record in preparing pupils for the 11 Plus, Marie Redmond MEd and her team of exceptional, fully qualified and experienced primary teachers provide specialist tuition focused on your child’s individual learning needs.
Our unique 11 Plus courses in Amersham, Aylesbury, Beaconsfield, Chalfont St Peter, Little Chalfont and Stoke Poges are structured to give children the confidence they need to sit and pass exams in a friendly, stress-free environment.
Introduction to the Buckinghamshire Transfer Test (Bucks 11 Plus)
To apply for a place at a Buckinghamshire grammar school (including John Hampden Grammar School), your child will need to pass the Bucks Transfer Test (11 Plus exam). Children born between 1st September 2009 and 31st August 2010 will take the exam on Thursday 10th September 2020 to secure a Buckinghamshire grammar place for September 2021.
The GL exam consists of two papers, taken on the same day, each approximately 45 minutes in duration and testing three areas – verbal, mathematical and non-verbal reasoning skills. The first paper tests verbal skills, including comprehension, English technical and verbal reasoning. The second paper tests non-verbal reasoning, spatial reasoning and maths. All questions on both papers are multiple choice and pupils indicate their answers on a separate answer sheet.
- You do not need to register your child if they attend a Buckinghamshire Local Authority primary school.
- If your child goes to a Partner School or a school in another Local Authority area, you will need to register with the Buckinghamshire 11 Plus Admissions Team.
- Registration opens at 3pm on 5th May 2020 and closes at 3pm on 25th June 2020.
- For more information about the Buckinghamshire 11 Plus, visit the Buckinghamshire County Council website, or contact the Buckinghamshire County Council Admissions team here.
The scores from both papers are added together and ‘age standardised’ to make it fair for pupils of all ages. To meet the necessary standard for a Buckinghamshire grammar school (John Hampden Grammar School), your child will need to achieve a score of 121 or more.
27% of the children who live in Buckinghamshire County Council Districts and sat the exam in 2017 (for 2018 entry) achieved a score of 121 or above and qualified automatically for a place at one of Buckinghamshire’s thirteen grammar schools. After appeals and reviews were heard, the final intake was 31%. Of all children who sat the exam (including those living in Buckinghamshire and out of county), 34% scored 121 or above and a total of 38% qualified after appeals.
* The final statistics for the 2018 exam (reflecting selection reviews and appeals) will be available by the end of November 2019.
For full statistics, visit Buckinghamshire County Council’s statistics on grammar school entry.
The 2019 Buckinghamshire 11 Plus (Transfer Test) results were released on 18th October 2019. The 2020 Buckinghamshire 11 Plus results will be released on 16th October 2020.
When you received your child’s 11 Plus results in October 2019, you had until 3pm on Thursday 31st October to submit your Common Application Form to your Local Authority. You were able to name up to 6 schools when you applied. School places for September 2020 will be confirmed on 1st March 2020.
If you live outside Buckinghamshire, you must apply through your own Local Authority – even if your child currently attends a Buckinghamshire LA primary school.
What is required to pass the Bucks 11 Plus and help secure a place at John Hampden Grammar School?
Verbal skills (50% of the mark)
- Verbal reasoning (vocabulary: the production of words, use of words and relationships between words)
Mathematical skills (25% of the mark)
- Basic skills (addition, multiplication, division and subtraction)
- Mental maths development
- Problem solving techniques
- Extracting information from graphs and tables
- Fractions and ratios
- Foundation algebra concepts
Non-verbal skills (25% of the mark)
- Spatial awareness
- Logical deduction skills
- Mathematical concepts such as symmetry, rotation and reflection
Get exam ready with Marie Redmond Tuition® GL Assessment-style Buckinghamshire 11 Plus Mock Exams. Students who sat our Buckinghamshire mock exams in 2019 said they were very similar to the actual test, which made them feel prepared and confident when sitting the exam.
Our courses are led by qualified primary teachers and prepare pupils for all aspects of the Buckinghamshire 11 PlusDiscover our 11 Plus courses
Feedback from parents
I am pleased to say that Ollie did pass his 11+ with a score of 132 and hopes to go to John Hampden.
Year 5 parent, High Wycombe (2016)