- 11+ Mock Exams
- 11+ Tuition
- 11+ Term Time Courses
- 11+ Intensive Holiday Courses
- 11+ Info
Chesham Grammar School
Stay ahead with exclusive tips on the Buckinghamshire 11+ exam for Chesham Grammar School
We’re dedicated to your child’s success
With a proven track record in preparing pupils for the 11 Plus, Marie Redmond MEd and her team of exceptional, fully qualified and experienced primary teachers (not ‘tutors’) provide specialist tuition focused on your child’s individual learning needs.
Our unique 11 Plus courses in Amersham, Beaconsfield, Chalfont St Peter, Eastcote, High Wycombe and Stoke Poges are structured to give children the confidence they need to sit and pass exams in a friendly, stress-free environment.
Introduction to the Buckinghamshire Transfer Test (Bucks 11 Plus)
To apply for a place at a Buckinghamshire grammar school (including Chesham Grammar School), your child will need to pass the Buckinghamshire Transfer Test (11 Plus exam). The Buckinghamshire test is provided by GL Assessment and the pass mark is 121. Children born between 1st September 2010 and 31st August 2011 will take the exam in late 2021 to secure a Buckinghamshire grammar place for September 2022, however, the exam date has yet to be confirmed.
I am delighted to report that Ruby passed her 11+ exam and will be applying to attend Chesham Grammar School in September 2019. Ruby is very keen that Sarah should know and on a personal level we would love to drop in a little thank you to Sarah if possible. Many thanks from us all for helping Ruby realise her potential and giving her the confidence she needed. Sarah always believed in her and it made all the difference to the outcome!
Year 5 parent, Great Missenden (2018)
The GL exam consists of two papers, taken on the same day, each approximately 45 minutes in duration and testing three areas – verbal, mathematical and non-verbal reasoning skills. The first paper tests verbal skills, including comprehension, English technical and verbal reasoning. The second paper tests non-verbal reasoning, spatial reasoning and maths. All questions on both papers are multiple choice and pupils indicate their answers on a separate answer sheet.
- You do not need to register your child if they attend a Buckinghamshire Local Authority primary school.
- If your child goes to a Partner School or a school in another Local Authority area, you will need to register with the Buckinghamshire 11 Plus Admissions Team.
- Registration for the 2020 exam opened at 3pm on 5th May 2020 and closed at 3pm on 25th June 2020.
- The registration dates for the 2021 exam have yet to be announced.
- For more information about the Buckinghamshire 11 Plus, visit the Buckinghamshire County Council website, or contact the Buckinghamshire County Council Admissions team here.
The scores from both papers are added together and ‘age standardised’ to make it fair for pupils of all ages. To meet the necessary standard for a Buckinghamshire grammar school (including Chesham Grammar School), your child will need to achieve a score of 121 or more.
26% of children who live in Buckinghamshire County Council Districts and sat the exam in 2018 (for 2019 entry) achieved a score of 121 or above and qualified automatically for a place at one of Buckinghamshire’s thirteen grammar schools. After appeals and reviews were heard, the final intake was 31%.
Of all children who sat the exam (including those living in Buckinghamshire and out of county), 34% scored 121 or above and a total of 38% qualified after appeals.
* The final statistics for the 2019 exam (reflecting selection reviews and appeals) will be available in the autumn of 2020.
For full statistics, visit Buckinghamshire County Council’s statistics on grammar school entry.
The 2020 Buckinghamshire 11 Plus (Transfer Test) results will be announced as follows:
- For tests taken by 5th November 2020, results will be sent on email by 4pm on 30th November 2020
- For tests taken after 5th November 2020, results will be sent on email as soon as possible after 30th November 2020
- Due to the extraordinary circumstances this year, you needed to submit your child’s secondary school application before you received their 11 Plus exam results. If you wished your child to be considered for entry to a Buckinghamshire grammar school, you were required to name the relevant school or schools on the Common Application Form (CAF).
- Buckinghamshire residents had until 3pm on 31st October 2020 to submit their online secondary school application. If you were posting a paper application it had to arrive no later than 3pm on this date.
- School places for September 2021 will be confirmed on 1st March 2021.
- In whichever year you are applying, you can name up to 6 schools on your CAF.
- If you live outside Buckinghamshire, you must apply through your own Local Authority – even if your child currently attends a Buckinghamshire LA primary school.
What is required to pass the Bucks 11 Plus and help secure a place at Chesham Grammar School?
Verbal skills (50% of the mark)
- Verbal reasoning (vocabulary: the production of words, use of words and relationships between words)
Mathematical skills (25% of the mark)
- Basic skills (addition, multiplication, division and subtraction)
- Mental maths development
- Problem solving techniques
- Extracting information from graphs and tables
- Fractions and ratios
- Foundation algebra concepts
Non-verbal skills (25% of the mark)
- Spatial awareness
- Logical deduction skills
- Mathematical concepts such as symmetry, rotation and reflection
Get exam ready with Marie Redmond Tuition® GL Assessment-style Buckinghamshire 11 Plus Mock Exams. Students who sat our Buckinghamshire mock exams in 2020 said they were very similar to the actual test, which made them feel prepared and confident when sitting the exam.
Our courses are led by qualified primary teachers and prepare pupils for all aspects of the Buckinghamshire 11 PlusDiscover our 11 Plus Courses
Feedback from parents
Lily passed with a score of 129 and has applied to attend Chesham Grammar School. Obviously we were and are delighted. Lily worked very hard during the last year to achieve a pass and I hope this has taught her a valuable lesson at a young age – that hard work normally pays dividends. Lily is very happy and we feel sure that she will thrive at Grammar School. I will be recommending Marie Redmond based upon our experiences. I would like to convey that I have found Sarah to be an excellent tutor. A good deal of Lily’s success is as a direct result of Sarah’s thoughtful and positive tuition. Thank you again for your support. Oscar is currently in Year 3 and we expect him to be attending Marie Redmond Tuition in 2019.
Year 5 parent, Amersham (2017)
Eleanor passed the exam and is now hoping to go to Chesham Grammar.
Year 5 parent, Amersham (2015)
Hope all well and I am sure you are readying for the next set of students! Ruby started CGS this morning and set off with high excitement and trepidation on the school bus earlier today! A huge thank you to you and Sarah again for playing such a key part in helping her to fulfil her ambition to attend.
Year 7 parent, Great Missenden (2019)
Thank you for the results. The girls really enjoyed the week and I am very pleased how they are coming along. They have both certainly improved over the year.
Year 5 parent, Chesham (2018)
She passed her exam and got a score of 142. Thanks for the help in tuition the last two years and we will see u again when my little one do the exam.
Year 5 parent, Chesham (2017)
We were impressed with what your classes did for her last year in the summer term and in the summer school weeks (she scored 129 and is going to Chesham Grammar in September).
Year 6 parent, Amersham (2020)
Just a quick note to say he passed the 11 plus today. Please pass on my gratitude to his tutors and the structured, yet flexible organisation you run.
Year 5 parent, Chesham (2017)
Sofia is enjoying Year 6 and looking forward to the PGL trip in May (highlight for year 6). Sofia passed the 11 plus, she is very pleased and we are very proud of her! We would like to thank you and Sarah for all your hard work.
Year 6 parent, Chesham (2019)
Quick note. He passed with 127 so we are very pleased he did well across the board and will be going to Chesham Grammar School with his elder brother. Phew. Thank you. Please let Sarah know. Cheers.
Year 6 parent, Great Missenden (2020)
Jon is enjoying his sessions thoroughly and is looking forward to continuing them next year too.
Year 4 parent, Chesham (2017)
Both of my children have enjoyed Marie Redmond tuition and both have passed comfortably the 11 + exam. Thank you so much for your help.
Year 6 parent, Chesham (2019)
He has become more confident since starting the extra practice sessions with Anne and has moved up a few levels in maths at school. That has boosted his confidence.
Year 5 parent, Chesham (2015)
He got 123 which is think is a pass! We are slightly out of catchment but we have our Chesham grammar as number 1 choice and will see what happens Thanks for his lovely lessons with Sarah.
Year 6 parent, Chorleywood (2019)
Our son used go to tuition in Amersham and he passed with a staggering 131 thank you soo much for your help good luck with students in the future.
Year 5 parent, Chesham (2017)
Hi Marie, just to let you know Isabel got through her 11 Plus with flying colours! She is so pleased after all her hard work. Thank you so much for all your help with her maths.
Year 5 parent, Chesham (2013)