- 11+ Mock Exams
- 11+ Tuition
- 11+ Term Time Courses
- 11+ Intensive Holiday Courses
- 11+ Info
Burnham Grammar School
Stay ahead with exclusive tips on the Buckinghamshire 11+ exam for Burnham Grammar School
We’re dedicated to your child’s success
With a proven track record in preparing pupils for the 11 Plus, Marie Redmond MEd and her team of exceptional, fully qualified and experienced primary teachers (not ‘tutors’) provide specialist tuition focused on your child’s individual learning needs.
Our unique 11 Plus courses in Amersham, Beaconsfield, Chalfont St Peter, Eastcote, High Wycombe and Stoke Poges are structured to give children the confidence they need to sit and pass exams in a friendly, stress-free environment.
Introduction to the Buckinghamshire Transfer Test (Bucks 11 Plus)
To apply for a place at a Buckinghamshire grammar school (including Burnham Grammar School), your child will need to pass the Buckinghamshire Transfer Test (11 Plus exam). The Buckinghamshire test is provided by GL Assessment and the pass mark is 121. Children born between 1st September 2010 and 31st August 2011 will take the exam in late 2021 to secure a Buckinghamshire grammar place for September 2022, however, the exam date has yet to be confirmed.
I would like to let you know that my son Ahmed Sanad passed Bucks test with score of 132 . I hope that he gets a place in Burnham Grammar. Your course helped him during the lockdown after he stopped live classes in Slough, it was very good to have these virtual courses .
Year 6 parent, Wexham (2020)
Hello Marie, he passed the Bucks test with a score of 125. We are very happy and proud of him as Burnham Grammar was our first choice regardless. Thank you so much for the assistance received as combined with his raw talent, has stood him in good stead and showed us his true potential.
Year 5 parent, Slough (2018)
I would like to let you know that my son Ahmed Sanad passed Bucks test with a score of 132 . I hope that he gets a place in Burnham Grammar. Your course helped him during the lockdown after he stopped live classes in Slough, it was very good to have these virtual courses. Thank you very much for your help and support.
Year 6 parent, Slough (2020)
The GL exam consists of two papers, taken on the same day, each approximately 45 minutes in duration and testing three areas – verbal, mathematical and non-verbal reasoning skills. The first paper tests verbal skills, including comprehension, English technical and verbal reasoning. The second paper tests non-verbal reasoning, spatial reasoning and maths. All questions on both papers are multiple choice and pupils indicate their answers on a separate answer sheet.
- You do not need to register your child if they attend a Buckinghamshire Local Authority primary school.
- If your child goes to a Partner School or a school in another Local Authority area, you will need to register with the Buckinghamshire 11 Plus Admissions Team.
- Registration for the 2020 exam opened at 3pm on 5th May 2020 and closed at 3pm on 25th June 2020.
- The registration dates for the 2021 exam have yet to be announced.
- For more information about the Buckinghamshire 11 Plus, visit the Buckinghamshire County Council website, or contact the Buckinghamshire County Council Admissions team here.
The scores from both papers are added together and ‘age standardised’ to make it fair for pupils of all ages. To meet the necessary standard for a Buckinghamshire grammar school (including Burnham Grammar School), your child will need to achieve a score of 121 or more.
26% of children who live in Buckinghamshire County Council Districts and sat the exam in 2018 (for 2019 entry) achieved a score of 121 or above and qualified automatically for a place at one of Buckinghamshire’s thirteen grammar schools. After appeals and reviews were heard, the final intake was 31%.
Of all children who sat the exam (including those living in Buckinghamshire and out of county), 34% scored 121 or above and a total of 38% qualified after appeals.
* The final statistics for the 2019 exam (reflecting selection reviews and appeals) will be available in the autumn of 2020.
For full statistics, visit Buckinghamshire County Council’s statistics on grammar school entry.
The 2020 Buckinghamshire 11 Plus (Transfer Test) results will be announced as follows:
- For tests taken by 5th November 2020, results will be sent on email by 4pm on 30th November 2020
- For tests taken after 5th November 2020, results will be sent on email as soon as possible after 30th November 2020
- Due to the extraordinary circumstances this year, you needed to submit your child’s secondary school application before you received their 11 Plus exam results. If you wished your child to be considered for entry to a Buckinghamshire grammar school, you were required to name the relevant school or schools on the Common Application Form (CAF).
- Buckinghamshire residents had until 3pm on 31st October 2020 to submit their online secondary school application. If you were posting a paper application it had to arrive no later than 3pm on this date.
- School places for September 2021 will be confirmed on 1st March 2021.
- In whichever year you are applying, you can name up to 6 schools on your CAF.
- If you live outside Buckinghamshire, you must apply through your own Local Authority – even if your child currently attends a Buckinghamshire LA primary school.
What is required to pass the Bucks 11 Plus and help secure a place at Burnham Grammar School?
Verbal skills (50% of the mark)
- Verbal reasoning (vocabulary: the production of words, use of words and relationships between words)
Mathematical skills (25% of the mark)
- Basic skills (addition, multiplication, division and subtraction)
- Mental maths development
- Problem solving techniques
- Extracting information from graphs and tables
- Fractions and ratios
- Foundation algebra concepts
Non-verbal skills (25% of the mark)
- Spatial awareness
- Logical deduction skills
- Mathematical concepts such as symmetry, rotation and reflection
Get exam ready with Marie Redmond Tuition® GL Assessment-style Buckinghamshire 11 Plus Mock Exams. Students who sat our Buckinghamshire mock exams in 2020 said they were very similar to the actual test, which made them feel prepared and confident when sitting the exam.
Our courses are led by qualified primary teachers and prepare pupils for all aspects of the Buckinghamshire 11 PlusDiscover our 11 Plus Courses
Feedback from parents
He passed- 136 GL and 118 CEM – thank you so much!
Year 5 parent, Burnham (2018)
Hello Marie, she passed with 120! (CEM). Thank you for all your help and giving her the confidence boost she needed. We’ll look forward to our next Daughter attending your course in 2 years!
Year 5 parent, Burnham (2018)
Hi Marie, just to confirm that Storm passed her 11+. Thank you.
Year 5 parent, Burnham (2015)
Trying to keep my daughter engaged so far has been a real challenge and these classes do help a lot. Thanks again for everything.
Year 4 parent, Burnham (2020)
He did well in both exams. For Berks he attained 118 and for Bucks the result was 130. We’re all extremely pleased with the outcome and have now made our selections for his grammar school for 2018. We would like to thank you and your staff for all the effort and patience shown to him. I don’t think he would have attained those marks without your tuition classes. Once again thank you.
Year 5 parent, Burnham (2017)