- Mock Exams
- Contact Us
Slough 11 Plus Exam
Introduction to the Slough Consortium 11 Plus
To be eligible to apply for a place at a Slough grammar school (Herschel Grammar School, Langley Grammar School, St Bernard’s Catholic Grammar School and Upton Court Grammar School), your child will need to pass the Slough Consortium 11 Plus exam.
The Consortium operates a shared 11 Plus testing process with the four schools using the same test papers and common eligibility criteria for selection. Children born between 1st September 2008 and 31st August 2009 will take the 11 Plus exam on Saturday 14th September 2019 to be eligible to apply for a Slough Consortium grammar place for September 2020.
The Slough Consortium test is provided by Durham University’s Centre for Evaluation & Monitoring (CEM). The tests identify the top 30% of the cohort as eligible for consideration for entry to grammar school and the eligibility mark is 111.
Our courses are led by qualified primary teachers and prepare pupils for all aspects of the Slough 11 PlusDiscover our 11 Plus courses
FAQs About the Slough Consortium 11 Plus
- The Slough 11 Plus exam consists of two papers, taken on the same day, each 50 to 60 minutes in duration and testing three areas – verbal, numerical and non-verbal reasoning.
- All questions on both papers are multiple choice and pupils indicate their answers on a separate answer sheet.
A Familiarisation booklet, produced by the CEM, contains information about the content of the tests, some advice about taking the tests and a few sample questions. You can see the most recent booklet here >
- You need to register your child to take the Slough Consortium 11 Plus test. Online registration for the September 2019 exam will open on Wednesday 1st May 2019 on the website of the Slough Consortium of Grammar Schools and close at midnight on Friday 14th June 2019.
- The sole purpose of registration is to enable your son or daughter to sit the 11 Plus exam. The consortium will order one set of exam papers for them, therefore ensure that you complete the registration process once only.
By scoring 111 or more, your child will be eligible for consideration for a place at any Slough grammar school named on your Local Authority’s Common Application Form (CAF). However, this does not guarantee a place as the schools may be oversubscribed. Each school’s admissions policy will describe how places are allocated in the event of oversubscription.
The results for the 2018 Slough 11 Plus were released on 16th October. The results for the 2019 exam will be announced in the middle of October (the specific date will not be given in advance by the Slough Consortium of Grammar Schools).
- When you receive your child’s 11 Plus results in October 2019, you will have until Thursday 31st October 2019 to submit your Common Application Form to your Local Authority.
- You can name up to 6 schools when you apply.
- School places for September 2020 will be confirmed at the beginning of March 2020.
- If you live outside Slough, you must apply through your own Local Authority – even if your child currently attends a Slough primary school.
What Is Required to Pass the Slough 11 Plus?
Verbal Reasoning (approx. 50% of the mark)
Numerical Reasoning (approx. 30% of the mark)
- Basic skills (addition, multiplication, division and subtraction)
- Mental maths development
- Problem solving techniques
- Extracting information from graphs and tables
- Fractions and ratios
- Foundation algebra concepts
Non-verbal Reasoning (approx. 20% of the mark)
- Spatial awareness
- Logical deduction skills
- Mathematical concepts such as symmetry, rotation and reflection
Get exam ready with Marie Redmond Tuition® CEM-style Slough 11 Plus Mock Exams.
Students who sat our Slough mock exams in 2018 said they were very similar to the actual test, which made them feel prepared and confident when sitting the exam.
For information on all our 11 Plus Mock Exams, visit our Mock Exam Information page.
Our Slough 11 Plus Tuition Courses prepare pupils for all aspects of the CEM 11 Plus examDiscover our 11 Plus courses