- 11+ Mock Exams
- 11+ Courses
- 11+ Term Time Courses
- 11+ Intensive Holiday Courses
- 11+ Information
- Contact Us
Gloucestershire 11+ Entrance Test
Introduction to the Gloucestershire Grammar 11+ Entrance Test
To be eligible to apply for a place at a Gloucestershire grammar school, your child will need to pass the 11 Plus Entrance Test for Gloucestershire.
Gloucestershire grammar schools operate a shared 11 Plus testing process with the seven schools using the same test papers. Children born between 1st September 2009 and 31st August 2010 will take the 11 Plus exam in September 2020 to be eligible to apply for a Gloucestershire grammar place for September 2021.
The Gloucestershire test is provided by Durham University’s Centre for Evaluation & Monitoring (CEM).
Our courses are led by qualified primary teachers and prepare pupils for all aspects of the Gloucestershire 11 PlusDiscover our 11 Plus courses
FAQs About the Gloucestershire 11 Plus
- The Gloucestershire 11 Plus exam consists of two papers, taken on the same day, each 50 to 60 minutes in duration and testing three areas – verbal, numerical and non-verbal reasoning.
- All questions on both papers are multiple choice and pupils indicate their answers on a separate answer sheet.
A Familiarisation booklet, produced by the CEM, contains information about the content of the tests, some advice about taking the tests and a few sample questions. You can see the most recent booklet here >
- You need to register your child to take the Gloucestershire 11 Plus test. Registration for the September 2020 exam will be open in June 2020 on the websites of the seven grammar schools.
- You can choose which school you’d like your child to sit the exam at, however as spaces are limited, your child may be allocated an alternative venue. The choice of test centre will have no bearing on your child’s chances of getting a place at the school(s) they apply for.
- When completing the online Grammar Registration Form, you must register which schools can share your child’s results. Only the schools you select will be able to consider your child for a place.
- Once you have registered for the Entrance Test, you will be sent information nearer the testing
day regarding the arrangements at your allocated Test Centre.
The 11 Plus for Gloucestershire has no set pass mark and achieving the ‘qualifying standard’ does not guarantee entry into your child’s preferred grammar school. Each school takes the top pupils who apply and their admissions policy will describe how places are allocated in the event of over-subscription.
The results for the 2019 Gloucestershire 11 Plus Grammar Test will be sent to parents by Monday 14th October 2019. If you registered online you will have been given the choice to receive your child’s results by e-mail or post. You will receive a letter or e-mail from each grammar school/academy you have requested to share results with. The dates for the 2020 exam have not yet been confirmed.
- When you received your child’s 11 Plus results in October 2019, you had until 3pm on Thursday 31st October to submit your Common Application Form to your Local Authority.
- You can name up to 6 schools when you apply.
- School places for September 2020 will be confirmed at the beginning of March 2020.
- If you live outside Gloucestershire, you must apply through your own Local Authority – even if your child currently attends a Gloucestershire primary school.
To discover more about Gloucestershire grammar schools, please click on the links below:
What Is Required to Pass the Gloucestershire 11 Plus?
Verbal Reasoning (approx. 50% of the mark)
Numerical Reasoning (approx. 30% of the mark)
- Basic skills (addition, multiplication, division and subtraction)
- Mental maths development
- Problem solving techniques
- Extracting information from graphs and tables
- Fractions and ratios
- Foundation algebra concepts
Non-verbal Reasoning (approx. 20% of the mark)
- Spatial awareness
- Logical deduction skills
- Mathematical concepts such as symmetry, rotation and reflection
Get exam ready with Marie Redmond Tuition® CEM-style Gloucestershire 11 Plus Mock Exams in Cheltenham (launching 2021).
Students who sat our 11 Plus mock exams in 2019 said they were very similar to the actual test, which made them feel prepared and confident when sitting the exam.
Our Gloucestershire 11 Plus Tuition Courses prepare pupils for all aspects of the CEM 11 Plus examDiscover our 11 Plus courses